Despite advances in dental care over the last few decades, millions and millions of people are still losing their teeth from things like tooth decay, periodontal (gum) disease and injury. According to the American College of Prosthodontists, about 120 million Americans are missing at least one tooth and more than 36 million Americans are missing all of their teeth.
Until recently, treatment options were limited to bridges and dentures. But today, dental implants have emerged as a popular alternative to keep you socially active and smiling without fear of movement or slippage.
As a replacement tooth root, a dental implant provides a strong foundation for permanent or removable replacement teeth that can be made to match your own natural teeth.
But is everyone a good candidate for dental implants?
For one reason or another, you might think, “Eh, I’m probably not a candidate for implants.” There's a good chance that is not true! Almost everyone who is missing even just one tooth and is relatively healthy can be a candidate for dental implants; there are very few conditions that would keep someone from having an implant treatment altogether.
Who is a good candidate for dental implants?
- Someone in good general health.
- Someone with no untreated decay or gum disease.
- You, probably.
Who is not a good candidate for dental implants?
- Someone not willing to follow care instructions given by their dentist. They may experience displaced implants that can cause a less comfortable fit or, possibly, more severe complications.
- Someone with poor overall oral health or gum disease
- Someone who has uncontrolled diabetes, blood clotting disorders or other conditions that can impact the success of the implant. (These conditions do not always necessarily mean you can’t get an implant, but it often leads to an increased risk of the implant failing.)
That’s it. If your dentist agrees that you meet these few requirements for dental implants, you can expect to enjoy teeth that look and feel like your natural teeth; giving you your confidence back in your smile. Implants are a convenient, permanent solution to tooth loss that will last a lifetime; keeping you doing the same social activities and chowing down on apples and corn on the cob without the hassle of dentures (and, most importantly, without breaking the bank).
What if I can’t get dental implants?
Don’t fret! There are plenty of great looking and affordable partial and full denture options to fill in the gaps where teeth once were.
It can be confusing navigating all your options. We know! That's why our consultations are always complimentary. You shouldn't be charged for doing your research. At Britely, we've created a welcoming environment for you to learn which option is best for you. So, if you find you still have questions, schedule your free consultation today and get all your questions answered.